I ate Sushi for lunch, after about an hour, and still now (about two hours since eating) I’m getting waves of nausea that come and go every 10-20 minutes that last about a minute or two, plus a sort of constant sick feeling or a mild stomach and lower stomach pain and cramping (Not sure if this is what a stomach cramp feels like). I’ve never had a problem with sushi before but this could have been left out too long or something, but now I’m sitting at work and wondering if it’s going to get worse…My question is how long after eating can food poisoning symptoms start? It was only an hour until I started feeling a bit cruddy and within an additional half hour, I started getting the above symptoms. Could food poisoning come on that fast? (I might want to call the cafeteria staff and let them know that there might be a problem with they’re sushi today or something).Any help (preferably with sources for something like this…) would be great, thanks a lot guys.
Each person is different in their reactions and timing. Hope this helps you. Food poisoning is a general term that refers to gastrointestinal illnesses (usually diarrhea and/or vomiting) caused by food that is contaminated with bacteria, parasites, viruses, or toxic substances. The actual cause of most individual episodes of food poisoning, however, never is pursued (e.g., a culture is not done) since most episodes are mild or moderate in severity and are over in a few hours to a few days. In fact, the diagnosis of food poisoning usually is made only presumptively, based on the patient’s symptoms and the circumstances. Even in outbreaks of suspected food poisoning that involve many people, when careful studies are done, a specific cause is found no more than half of the time.Bacteria are the cause of most outbreaks of food poisoning for which a specific cause is determined. Bacteria cause food poisoning in three ways. After reaching the intestines, they may multiply and produce toxic substances that enter the intestine and cause diarrhea and/or vomiting without damaging the intestine itself. The bacteria also may multiply within the intestines and produce toxic substances that damage the lining of the intestine or they may invade and damage the intestine directly. Finally, some bacteria produce toxic substances that cause diarrhea and/or vomiting in the food before it is eaten. These bacteria do not need to multiply within the intestines, and the toxic substances they produce do not damage the intestine.To know with certainty that a bacterium is causing food poisoning, the bacterium must be cultured, usually from stool and rarely from vomitus. If the food suspected of causing the poisoning still is available, the food can be cultured. Identification of the causative bacterium may require a determination of the bacterial subtype since not all bacteria of one type, e.g., E. coli, cause illness. In some cases, the bacteria isolated from the culture may be tested to see if they produce toxic substances. In food poisoning caused by toxic substances formed by bacteria in food before the food is ingested, e.g., staphylococcal food poisoning, the toxic substance can be sought in the food, stool, or vomitus. The identification of toxic substances, however, is complex and is not done by most bacteriology laboratories.
Can take a Minuit or several hours
It happens almost right away If something doesn’t smell or taste good don’t eat it It will probably last anywhere from 3 days to a week
Yes it can come on that quick
I’m a nurse. Yes anything is possible. Having an upset stomach is only half of it. A person will poop and vomit at the same time but people reacts differently. Let this run it’s course and take OTC medication for an upset stomach, generic will work just as good. See a doctor if you feel sick in the next few days. Dehydration is also an issue so drink as you are able to. Take care and all the best.
It can indeed start that fast, and it sounds like that’s what you’re got. You might do well to tell your supervisor what happened and see a doctor.
It all depends on the type of contaminant and the amount eaten. The symptoms can develop rapidly, within 30 minutes, or slowly, worsening over days to weeks. Most of the common contaminants cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramping. Usually food poisoning is not serious, and the illness runs its course in 24-48 hours.
I would definitely let the cafeteria know that you got sick so they can take the sushi off the line.
Hope you feel better soon!
From 40 minutes to 1.5 hours you start feeling sick. Vomiting and diarrhea usually follow, so just ride it out. Do not take anything to stop the diarrhea, you need to get it ALL out. If I were you I would get home asap!
You need to call the sushi place/cafeteria, tell them what you ate and that you are now sick. They have to stop serving that food. You should also call the health department. They track food poisonings and need to know. It could be the same fish supplier gave the cafeteria and every other restaurant in town a bunch of bad fish.
Little kids and old people die from this all the time, so you have to tell them right away. People with organ transplants are at great risk from food poisoning. I know a liver transplant patient that died from complications of food poisoning after eating COOKED food from a sushi restaurant!
Make the calls and go home, or vice versa.
Powered by Yahoo Answers